- 10 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- 1. Best Overall: Hayward W3H150FDN Universal H-Series
- 2. Best Runner-up: Hayward W3HP21404T Pool Heat Pump
- 3. Best Electric Pool Heater: EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 4. Best Durable Pool Heater: Raypak PR266AEN Electonic Natural Gas Swimming Pool Heater
- 5. Best for Inflatable Pools: CalPalmy Immersion Heater
- 6. Best Solar Pool Heater: Smart Pool S601 Pool Solar Heaters
- 7. Best Budget: SunHeater WS220P S220 Solar Heating System
- 8. Best for Small Pools: UCEDER Pool spa Part hot tub LX H20
- 9. Best for Above Grounds: Kokido Keops Solar Dome Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater
- Buyer’s Guide – Things to Consider Before Buying a Pool Heater
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Pool Heaters
Winter is just about to hit up, and there is nothing as satisfying as a warm pool to swim in. There are many ways to heat a swimming pool, but they are time-consuming and expensive as hell. But don’t worry; we are here with a solution that will extend your swim season by making your pool snug and comfortably warm this winter.
Pool heaters are one of the best ways to warm up the water, allowing you to swim and host pool parties in winter. They are easy to set up and use, thus giving you the advantage of using your pool anytime.
10 Best Pool Heater Reviews
We know it is quite a difficult task to select a product from a large variety of options; therefore, here we have rounded up the top 10 best pool heaters to save some of your time. Have a look at our top picks:
- Best Overall: Hayward W3H150FDN Universal H-Series
- Best Runner-up: Hayward W3HP21404T Pool Heat Pump
- Best Electric Pool Heater: EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Best Durable Pool Heater: Raypak PR266AEN Electonic Natural Gas Swimming Pool Heater
- Best for Inflatable Pools: CalPalmy Immersion Heater
- Best Solar Pool Heater: Smart Pool S601 Pool Solar Heaters
- Best Budget: SunHeater WS220P S220 Solar Heating System
- Best for Small Pools: UCEDER Pool spa Part hot tub LX H20
- Best for Above Grounds: Kokido Keops Solar Dome Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater
- Best Light Weight Heater: FibroPool FH120 Above Ground Swimming Pool Heat Pump
1. Best Overall: Hayward W3H150FDN Universal H-Series
- Low NOx emission for keeping the environment clean.
- Quickly heats up the water.
- Easy to install.
- Small in size; thus, it doesn’t take up much room.
- May be noisy.
Warm your swimming pool with the reliable, long-lasting, and environment-friendly Hayward H-series 150000 natural gas pool heater. This pool heater has a hydraulic design for reducing circulation pump run time. The thing that makes it top-drawer is its corrosion resistance property- the cupro-nickel heat exchanger protects against corrosion and rust.
It has an electronic panel with an LED control panel that allows the user to read and set the temperature. All you need to do is set the desired temperature and then wait for the heater to warm up the water in no time, giving you the experience of a warm swim on a chilly day.
2. Best Runner-up: Hayward W3HP21404T Pool Heat Pump
- Stops as soon as it senses no water flow.
- Takes less time to heat up the water.
- Weather-resistant so operates efficiently in harsh conditions.
- Works with all pool sizes.
- Maybe heavyweight.
Are you looking for a pool heater that is durable as well as super quiet? The Hayward W3HP214040T has come to your rescue. This pool heater possesses an acoustic compressor cover and fan blades that reduce unwanted noise and buzzing.
The Hayward W3HP21404T pool heat pump is weather and corrosion-resistant- thanks to its Ultra-Gold corrosion-resistant that provides exceptional durability and resistance against rust, corrosion, and harsh weather conditions. With a Titanium heat pump, this pool heater stands out for its super-fast heating ability, so make your winter pool parties warm and serene with this remarkable and noiseless pool heater.
3. Best Electric Pool Heater: EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Doesn’t take up much room at all so that it can be installed anywhere.
- Has stable temperature regulation ability.
- Time-saving and easy to install.
- Digital temperature control for convenient use.
- May not work efficiently below a 200 amp electrical panel.
The EcoSmart water heater is a perfect blend of functionality and technology. This super-smart pool heater can save you from the difficulty of keeping propane on hand all the time. This super-efficient heater requires two or three 50 amp breakers, therefore raising the pool’s temperature quickly.
The compact wall-mounted design of this pool heater doesn’t take up much space. Unlike traditional tank water heaters, the Ecosmart water heater heats the water as it passes through the unit, giving you endless hot water.
This heater’s advanced technology allows it only to use the appropriate amount of energy needed to heat the water. The digital control panel on this unit is easy to operate and lets you set the temperature at your favorite setting.
4. Best Durable Pool Heater: Raypak PR266AEN Electonic Natural Gas Swimming Pool Heater
- Stays silent to let you enjoy your parties without any interruption.
- Durable and reliable.
- Easy to use and install.
- Has an LCD control panel for reading and controlling temperature.
- Leaks may happen from the heat exchanger.
If you are concerned about durability, the Raypak PR266AEN266KBTU pool heater might be the best option for your swimming pool because it has a polyester coating, which is more durable than waterborne coatings, making it tough against rust and corrosion. It is highly efficient and has an LCD control panel that makes it easy for the user to read and control temperature settings.
Automatic water regulation ability is another feature that we appreciate, plus the fact that it keeps the water warm in the unit above 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
The draft system of this pool heater is so perfectly designed that it automatically eliminates the outside things like wind, dirt, leaves, rain, snow, etc., so that they cannot affect the heater’s performance and provide you endless hot water.
5. Best for Inflatable Pools: CalPalmy Immersion Heater
- Best for small inflatable pools.
- Quickly warms the water, so you don’t have to wait for too long.
- Reliable and long-lasting.
- Portable and easy to use.
- You may need an additional extension cord because the length of the cord is not long enough.
Are you looking for a pool heater that can be best for your mini inflatable swimming pool? If yes, then the CalPalmy immersion heater might be the perfect fit for your pool. The thing that makes it stand out in the market is its stainless steel protective guard that provides full protection from rust and scorching heat.
With its fast heating power, this pool heater earns a lot of positive word of mouth for its ability to raise the temperature of water in minutes.
One thing that you need to keep in mind while using this heater is that it needs to be properly submerged in water for proper operation; otherwise, it can catch fire after plugging in. Another thing that the user must never forget that when this heater is plugged in and immersed in water, one should never put a hand to check the temperature.
6. Best Solar Pool Heater: Smart Pool S601 Pool Solar Heaters
- Made of high quality for longevity.
- Operates efficiently for all in-ground pools.
- Water stays warm even at night.
- Eco friendly and saves a lot of energy.
- It May not work for above-ground pools.
- May take a while to install.
If you want a pool heater that saves energy and money, then Smart Pool S601 pool solar heater is the solution. It uses solar energy to heat the water in the pool to 6-10°F; though the process is slow, it is highly energy-conserving. This universal system is suitable for in-ground or above-ground pools and is super easy to install; place it on your roof or fence, sit back, relax and let this pool heater do its work.
The system’s advanced reel system with heavy-duty wheels on one side and a stable ‘T’ base on the other makes it convenient for the user to remove the solar blanket easily and without any hassle.
7. Best Budget: SunHeater WS220P S220 Solar Heating System
- Works for both in-ground and above-ground pools.
- Has a user manual in the package for easy installation.
- Raises the pool temperature 5 to 10 degrees.
- Includes Teflon tapes to avoid leaks.
- May not work properly on cloudy days.
The energy-efficient and super smart Sunheater WS220P solar heating system stand out because of its exceptional quality, design, and value. It keeps the pool warm by absorbing energy from the sun, so it saves you a great amount of electricity and money. The water from the pool flows through Sunheater solar panel tubes, heats up by the solar energy, and returns to the pool, giving you a hot and tender swimming experience.
It includes a trilingual manual(English/ French/ Spanish) that makes it convenient for the user to understand the process in the language familiar to him.
8. Best for Small Pools: UCEDER Pool spa Part hot tub LX H20
- Portable and handy.
- Has an auto-shutoff to turn it off when the pool pump stops.
- Sturdy and well built.
- Best for small pools and spa tubs.
- May not work with plugs that are below 20 amp.
Under LX H20-Rs1 thermostat is a perfect solution for heating small pools. It is portable and works efficiently for pools with about 400 gallons of water. The advanced technology of this pool heater lets you set the temperature to your favorite setting.
When the temperature reaches the desired setting, it switches off automatically; when the temperature drops down, this thermostat starts to heat the water to your set temperature.
One of the features worth discussing of this pool heater is that it is easy to assemble; there are arrows marked on the heater that show the water inlet and outlet’s direction. Something to keep in mind you need to have enough water flow from your pump for it to activate and operate efficiently.
9. Best for Above Grounds: Kokido Keops Solar Dome Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater
- The perfect solution for heating above-ground pools.
- Has a solar cover to protect it.
- Works well in full sunlight.
- Well-built and the package includes hoses and clamps.
- May not heat the water on an overcast day.
If you are looking to enjoy your swimming session in your above-ground pool, then go for a pool heart that is made especially for this purpose. The kokido Keops solar dome uses solar energy to provide you nice and toasty water. It has a desegregated rack that allows energy absorption by maximum exposure to the sun as it is highly dependent on the sun’s energy, so it is eco-friendly.
Its slim and compact design makes it a perfect fit for above ground pools. One of the unique things about this pool heater is that it comes with a protective cover; hence, the user can cover it to protect it from unwanted dirt and debris when not in use.
10. Best Light Weight Heater: FibroPool FH120 Above Ground Swimming Pool Heat Pump
- Works for above-ground pools as well as in-ground pools.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Well-made and heavy-duty.
- Has up and down arrow buttons for a quick reset.
- It May take a while to heat up the pool.
Are you looking for a pool heater that is lightweight but powerful enough to raise the temperature of your swimming pool? FibroPool FH120 is an ideal solution to your problem. With its 20,000 BTU’s heating capacity, it is perfect for above-ground pools up to an 18′ round or a 12′ X 24′ oval and can handle in-ground pools up to 75000 gallons.
The Titanium heat exchanger makes it energy and cost-effective. This slim pool heater has an enamel-coated weatherproof case; therefore, it can withstand harsh environmental conditions. Furthermore, it includes a digital control panel that permits the user to adjust the control according to him. Consequently, the heater is suitable to keep the chill off your swimming pool from season to season.
Buyer’s Guide – Things to Consider Before Buying a Pool Heater
Certain factors or things must be considered before buying a pool heater because the absence of these factors will result in the purchase of the wrong product. Have a look at our buyer’s guide:
- Size of the swimming pool
You can find pool heaters in various shapes and sizes, so make sure to buy a heater that fits the size of your pool. Large pools require large heaters to raise the temperature and vice versa.
- The weather in your area
The weather in your area should be taken into account when buying a pool heater. If you live in areas where the sun still remains in its mood in winters, you should opt for a solar power heater because good exposure to sunlight will heat the water quickly and save a lot of energy and money.
But if you live somewhere with less exposure to the sun, you should go for either natural gas pool heater or an electric heater.
- Control panel
While buying a pool heater, make sure that it has a digital control panel because they allow the user to monitor the water and set the temperature according to their choice. If it is not present, you will need to buy an additional thermometer to check the water temperature.
- Heating speed
Pool heaters differ in heating speed. Some heaters warm up the water in minutes while others take hours to do so. Therefore before buying a pool heater, make sure to gather proper information about its heating speed.
- Winterizing Ability
Winterizing is the process of protecting the heater from ice-cold temperature so that its internal parts do not break due to ice. Hence, solar pool heaters are not a good choice for colder climates because they are difficult to winterize, while electric and gas pool heaters are easy to winterize by just opening them and blowing out excess water by a blower or vacuum.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Pool Heaters
Now since we have talked about the key points, you should keep them into consideration while buying a pool heater. Here are some frequently asked questions of the customers while making an online purchases.
Do pool heaters really work?
Absolutely yes, if you want to extend your swimming season, then there is no other best option than a pool heater. It is worth investing in it as it provides you with nice and toasty water during winters.
Are pool heaters noisy?
Not all pool heaters are noisy. Only the gas heaters produce noise while operating.
Our large pool heaters better?
The size of the pool heater depends upon the size of your pool. The larger the pool larger will the pool heater required to heat the water, the Smaller the pool smaller will be the pool heater.
What temperature should I set my heater to?
Well, it depends on you how much hot water you need. However, the ideal temperature to set the pool heater is between 26 degrees Celcius and 28 degrees Celcius.
How many types of pool heaters are there?
There are three types of pool heaters, and all of them have their own benefits. These are as follows:
1. Solar pool heater
2. Electric pool heater
3. Gas pool heater
How to winterize a pool heater?
It is quite simple. Follow these four simple steps to winterize your pool heater quickly.
1. Turn off the gas valves.
2. Open the pressure switch ( not all pool heaters possess this).
3. Open drain plugs( number of the plugs vary from model to model).
4. Blow out excess water with a blower or a shop vacuum.
Pool heaters are a great way if you wish to extend your swimming season. They ensure that your pool is warm enough to give you a comfortable and relaxing swimming session. As mentioned above, certain factors must be present in a pool heater, so when buying a heater, keep in mind those factors.
By now, you must have decided which pool heater to buy, but we would recommend you to go for “Hayward W3H150FDN Universal H-Series 150,000 BTU Pool and Spa Heater, Natural Gas”. Although all the pool heaters are our top picks, this one is the best overall because it possesses all the important factors that make a pool heater exceptional and extraordinary.