Pruning Shears are used worldwide for gardening, precisely cutting off the branches of trees or bushes. The various types and shapes of pruning shears allow trimming of plants, cutting off unwanted herbs, and beautify your garden.
Pruning shears of various types include hand shears, lopping shears, pole pruners, hedge shears, and a pruning saw. The types contain blades of different shapes and lengths. If you love to spend time in the garden and maintain it in good shape, you can purchase all different pruning shears of high quality. Having your own pruning shears will enable you to maintain your garden according to your style.
10 Best Pruning Shears Reviews By 10 Consumers
If you are tired of roaming on the internet and markets, here is a list of ten best pruning shears that can help you in gardening.
- Best Garden Pruning Shear – Felco F-2 068780 Classic Manual Hand Pruner, F 2
- Best Heavy Duty – ARS HP-VS8Z Signature Heavy Duty Pruner
- Best Bypass pruner – Corona BP 3180D
- Best for Cutting Branches – Fiskars 91095935J
- Best Micro-tip Blades – Fiskars 99216935J
- Best for Trimming – WilFiks 25″ Bypass Lopper, Garden Pruning Shears
- Best for Compound Action – TABOR TOOLS GG12A Anvil Lopper
- Best Garden Clippers – Razor Sharp Bypass Pruning Shears
- Best User-Friendliness – The Gardener’s Friend Pruners, Ratchet Pruning Shears
- Best Little Saw – Corona Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw, 10 Inch Curved Blade, RS 7265D
1. Felco F-2 068780 Classic Manual Hand Pruner, F 2
- Anvil blades – Sharp, precise cutting.
- User-friendliness- easy to use, gripping clippers.
- Durable – long-lasting steel blades and forged aluminum clippers.
- Revolving handle- extra comfort.
- Ergonomic design – comfortable for use.
- Keeping in water cause rusting of steel blades.
The Felco F-2 is one of a kind is the overall best pruning shear. It is made from steel, and for a comfortable yet firm grip, the design is modified. Felco F-2 has anvil blades with a sap groove and a hardened bolt and nut. This design assures the exact adjustment of the cutting and anvil blades; this yields neat and fine cutting.
It is of high-quality, has a lifetime warranty and light in weight. The Felco F-2 clippers are made from forged aluminum handles and hardened steel blades. Narrow anvil blades allow access to twiggy branches and assure close cut to the trunk.
2. ARS HP-VS8Z Signature Heavy Duty Pruner
- Chrome-plated blades- rust-resistant and protection against sap.
- Sharpest blades- quick and precise cutting.
- Ergonomic design – easy to use.
- Durable – remains effective even after years.
- Difficulty in safety-lock unlocking – once you understand to unlock, it is easy to use.
ARS HP-VS8Z Signature is an ideal heavy-duty pruner and has replaceable steel blades that are chrome plated. The chrome plating of the blades makes the heavy-duty pruner rust-resistant, increases life-expectancy, and protects the blades from sap available.
ARS HP-VS8Z has sharp blades that allow quick and precise cutting of plants. It can be operated by a single hand; every part of the ASR HP-VS8Z comprises high-quality material. The spring, blades, cripples all are designed to do heavy-duty work efficiently and without being worn-out. The ergonomic design of ASR HP-VS8Z is easy to use and handle. It can be locked when not in use.
3. Corona BP 3180D
- User-friendly-easy to handle.
- Ergonomic design – highly effective in working and comfortable.
- Bypass pruner cutting capacity of 1 inch – cut green wood quickly.
- Requires lubrication after every use.
Corona BP 3180D is the best bypass pruner that enables you to cut green wood with a 1-inch cutting capacity. It is suitable for large hands. The construction material is durable, and the blades are designed for the professional gardener. Cutting small herbs, bushes, and plants easily without removing sap is possible with Corona BP 3180D.
Corona BP 3180D has sap grooves that keep blades from sticking, and you do not need to clean sap repeatedly during cutting. The bypass pruner also has a wire-cutting notch for safety, and the notch tool is closed when not in use to prevent unwanted incidents.
4. Fiskars 91095935J
- Stainless steel blades with coating – rust-resistant, durable.
- Quick and smooth cutting- cutting diameter 1 inch.
- Ergonomic design – easy to use and clean.
- Sap grooves – no need to repeatedly remove sap while cutting.
- Requires cleaning after every use but not during usage.
- Uncomfortable when holding for a longer duration.
Fiskars 91095935J has steel-mixed alloy blades and is a bypass pruner with dimensions 4 inches length * 1-inch width *10.75 inches height and weighs 10.4 ounces. The steel-alloy blades increase the durability of Fiskars 91095935J and enable users to use bypass pruners for a longer duration.
The Fiskars 91095935J have an ambidextrous look, sap groove, enclosed spring, dual-layer, and stainless-steel blades are coated to enhance their effectiveness. This pruner is suitable for cutting with perfection. It is easy and smooth to use and cut herbal plants, greenwood, leaves, and branches.
5. Fiskars 99216935J
- User-friendly – easy to clean, handle and use.
- Micro-tip pruner snip – cutting with accuracy in small areas.
- Safety lock – easy locking and unlocking.
- Not suitable for cutting thick branches – they are not designed for that.
The Fiskars 99216935J is ideal for its micro-tip snip that enables cutting of the smallest branches neatly and preciously. The blades are non-coated and require cleaning off and on. Fiskars 99216935J dimensions are 1.75 inches length *1.75 inches width *6 inches height, and its weight is 2.56 ounces.
The easy action design opens blades after each cut to reduce hand strain. The blades are made up of high-grade stainless steel and stay sharp for a longer duration. The sharpness of blades enables cleaning cutting on plants. The Fiskars 99216935J pruning shears micro-tip pruning snip makes deadheading, trimming, and shaping of plants easy.
6. WilFiks 25″ Bypass Lopper, Garden Pruning Shears
- Shock-absorbing handles – safe for use.
- High-quality, sharp blades – efficient cutting and trimming of plants.
- Ergonomic design- comfortable for use.
- Long handles- enables to reach hard access.
- Cuts up to 1.4 inches radius only not designed for cutting large radius.
WilFiks 25 Bypass lopper pruning shear is best for trimming trees, cutting of plants, and shaping them as you desire. The long non-slip handles are ideal for large hands and reaching hard-access areas easily. It has razor sharped carbon steel blades of high quality that make sure you cut and trim your tree quickly and neatly, giving your plants a decent appearance.
The handle is made up of PP and TPR for durability, abrasion-resistance, and longer life. The ergonomic style of WilFiks 25 makes it easy to use, handle, and has a shock-absorbing handle for protecting your hand from any possible damage. It works with a scissors-like cutting action that enables the cutting of tree branches with a 1.4-inch radius.
7. TABOR TOOLS GG12A Anvil Lopper
- Compound Action System – cut and trim both green branches and hardwood.
- Long handles- enable to reach non-accessible areas.
- Does not require repeated cleaning during use.
- Sharp blades – quick and clean cutting.
- Difficult to hold for a longer duration but cuts effectively and quickly.
The TABOR TOOLS GG12A Anvil lopper is best for its compound action. It can chop thick branches and trim trees with its cut clean capacity. The Compound action system with movable blades multiplies the force applied to the blades three times. The non-sticking, low-friction steel blades provide quick-clean cutting and trimming.
The TABOR TOOLS GG12A is ergonomically designed for pruning hard green and dry/woody growth. The sharp blades cut branches up to 2 inches in diameter. The 30 inches long handles enable you to cut and trim off hard access areas. The dimensions of TABOR TOOLS GG12A are 30.71*10.63*0.98 inches and weighs 3.68 pounds.
8. Razor Sharp Bypass Pruning Shears
- Ergonomic design- easy and convenient to use.
- Teflon coated blades- increases the durability of blades.
- High-quality material – ensure longevity.
- Lightweight – easy to hold.
- Thumb lock cause difficulty for those who do trimming a lot.
Are you looking for the best garden clippers, then you can select Razor Sharp Bypass Pruning shears that cut and shape branches up to 25mm in diameter. The SK-5 blades of Razor Sharp Garden Pruning Shears enable optimal cutting. SK-5 is high carbon tool grade steel from japan, and blades are coated with Teflon (PTFE), making the blades non-sticking and rust-resistant.
The material of pruning shears is SK5 steel, Aluminum, Teflon coating, and Rubber Handle. The material makes the pruning shear sustainable, long-lasting and durable. It comes with an extra spring; if your spring gets worn-out, you can replace it with the additional spring. The dimensions of Garden pruning shear are 8.47*2.36*0.79 inches and weighs 9 ounces.
9. The Gardener’s Friend Pruners, Ratchet Pruning Shears
- Ergonomic design – easy to use.
- 3-stage Action Ratchet – takes away all pain.
- Channel Coating – stay sharp for a longer duration.
- Aluminum blades – rust-resistant.
- Detachable blades – allows cleaning of blades completely.
- Safety lock requires some force.
- Female arthritis patients have difficulty in use.
Pruning or gardening will no longer be painful as you can purchase the Gardner’s Friend Pruner, Ratchet Pruning Shears. If you are in old age or have arthritis or other mobility problems, you can maintain your garden with the Gardner’s Friend Pruner as it is designed especially for individuals with weak hands or mobility issues.
The effective ratchet mechanism enables quick and clean cutting of branches. It can cut branches (to 1-inch thickness) of trees, shrubs, flowers, greenwood, and trim them. It is highly suitable for use by individuals that have Carpel tunnel Syndrome or Arthritis. The blades are replaceable and can be detached for cleaning.
10. Corona Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw, RS 7265D
- Excellent saw – cut wood for a fire.
- Ergonomic – comfortable for use.
- Lightweight – easy to hold.
- Curved blade- enables quick and effective cutting without shreds.
- Safety lock – protects from accidents.
- Packaging material is not suitable – dangerous.
Are you looking for a little saw, then you can choose the best Amazon’s choice saw, the Corona Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw. The blade of the saw is 10 inches in length and is curved in shape. The Corona Razor Tooth Folding Pruning saw dimensions are 1*2.68*12 inches and weigh 0.8 pounds.
It has three-sided- razor teeth for efficient cutting and is ideal for cutting branches that are 5 to 6 inches in diameter. It is designed to provide a firm grip, quick cutting, and user-friendly pruning. The 10 inches blade has six teeth per inch, and to enhance cutting efficiency, it also is designed in a curved shape.
Buyer’s Guide – Things to Consider Before Buying Pruning Shears
Pruning shears are also called hand pruners (in American English) and secateurs (in British English). Pruning shears are a type of scissors used for cutting plants.
They are strong enough to prune hard branches of trees, bushes, and shrubs. Its thickness is about two centimeters. They are used in gardening, arboriculture, plant nursery works, flower arranging, and farming, where habitat management is necessary. If you want to buy pruning shears, please use these guidelines.
- Blade Styles And Types Of Cuts
There are basically three types of hand pruners actually, i.e., bypass pruners, anvil pruners, and ratchet pruners. Bypass garden pruners are the most popular kind of hand pruners. Bypass pruners cut the branches of plant or tree so nicely due to their shape.
The manufacturer uses two curved blades in its shape that bypass each other in the same manner as a pair of scissors. Straight blade hand pruners have shape just like scissors. But they are not as popular as bypass or anvil hand pruners. Snip style pruning shears are designed like a pair of narrow scissors.
- Blade Quality
All the pruning shears are made by or manufactured by steel. But there are mainly two varieties of steel material used in pruning shears. The quality of material used is named carbon steel blades and stainless steel blades.
Carbon steel blades are powerful. These must be kept clean and oiled to prevent rust. Stainless steel blades resist tarnishing and oxidation effects. Blades made by this type of metal would not rust. Its metal also resists erosion.
In this way, this type of metal works well in cutting green stems and branches. Stainless steel blades are difficult to sharpen once they become dull or blunt. Thus pruning shears made by stainless steel blades must be retired when it became blunt.
- Cutting Mechanism
There are commonly two cutting mechanisms used in pruning shears, such as spring back and ratchet. Both mechanisms are easy to operate by the gardeners and horticulture specialists.
As the name spring back shows, it has a strong spring that automatically opens the jaws of pruner shears after cutting a plant or tree branch. You have only to press your fist to cut a tree’s branch by using a spring back pruning shear. It will automatically open its jaw and come to its previous position. You can work speedily in this way.
The simple machines that have a ratchet system allow movement in one direction only. Ratchet pruners have a sharp blade on one side, but they have a flat, dull surface on the second side to hold the branch. Ratchet pruners cut the branch of a tree into two pieces when you keep the branch in between the sharpened blade and flat-edged surface that holds the branch firmly, and you press the ratchet pruners with your fist.
Frequently Asked Questions about Best Cordless Pruning Shears
Before making your final purchase, have a look at our small faq section to clear your doubts further and make a healthy purchase.
How can you maintain your pruning shear?
Pruning shears maintenance is essential to make it long-lasting. Firstly, remove any dirt or sap from the pruning shear with wire wool or brush. Secondly, wash them with soap-water and then dry them.
Are pruning shears necessary for gardening?
To maintain your garden and give it a pleasing and healthy look, pruning shears are most popular. The various types of pruning shears enable you to cut branches of different diameters. The pruning shears enhances the beauty of your garden and give it a clean and pleasing image.
Can dead branches be removed by pruning shears?
Yes, dead branches can and must be removed with an appropriate pruning shear. Dead branches limit the growth of the plant and put pressure on it.
How to sharpen pruning shears?
After cleaning your pruning shears properly, dry them with a towel or a sock. Then sharpen the bevel with a diamond file while following the exact angle of the existing bevel. Run the file from the base to the pointed tip several times. You also need to lubricate pruners with few oil drops and don’t forget to put oil in all moving parts of your pruning shears. After sharpening, as stated above, they are ready to use again.
Every pruning shear in our list is best for its unique features, style, and work performance. However, Felco F-2 is the best overall. It has anvil blades of stainless steel that makes it rust-resistant and durable. The overall material of Felco F-2 enhances the longevity of the pruning shear.
The sharpness of the blade gives precise cutting without shreds. Sap grooves save you from the difficulty of removing sap again and again during use. The firm grip of handles ensures that the Felco F-2 does not slip away from your hands. Its features make it ideal for cutting branches of trees, shrubs, flowers, and bushes.