Often people tip-off or face problems due to a tree stump standing in their yards. It is not that easy to remove a tree stump. But wait, let me tell you something. We have a solution known as a tree stump killer. Tree stump killers are widely available by different brands at low or high costs in the markets.
These solutions are highly effective in removing any tree stump. However, deciding on which killing chemical might be the best one is not a piece of cake. In other words, to select the best one, you should do some research. Therefore, to ease and simplify this task for you, we will discuss the ten best tree stump killers.
Top 10 Best Tree Stump Killers By 10 Consumers
Whether it be performance or budget, these ten tree stump killers are highly-rated gardening products. Want to learn more?
1. Spectracide HG-66420 Stump Remover
- Along with warm water, the granules will immediately dissolve in the sump – faster results.
- Affordable, easy-to-pour, and highly efficient.
- It does not destroy or damage the desired vegetation or delicate plants.
- Provides spectacular results on combining with an effective liquid stump killer – speedy process.
- It will need multiple applications – product wastage.
- The product might not work for some tree stumps.
The first and most reasonable option for tree stump killers in our review is the Spectracide Stump Remover. This remover granule is one of the top-rated products because of its high-intensity properties and features. Combining this stump remover with any liquid herbicide will, for sure, ease your gardening or tree stump removal task.
Secondly, another reason for including this product is its accelerating property. The herbicide uses its power to accelerate and fasten the entire process of the decaying of any tree stump. It makes the tree stump porous, which, in turn, eases the removal process.
Thirdly, and most importantly, you will have to pour the granules inside the holes (pre-drilled) at the stump top. Thus, it will not affect or harm the surrounding flowers, plants, and vegetation at all. The product will start decaying within a little while. It won’t consume several months
2. Gordon Stump Killer Ready-to-Use QT
- It offers quicker results than other killers.
- The tree stump killer is available in an inspiring 32oz bottle.
- This liquid will kill the tree stump almost as deep as the tree roots.
- Prevent the sprouting or regrowth of new saplings.
- Easy-to-apply because of the squirt nozzle.
- The tree stump killer can kill the plants or grass present near the tree stump.
People who want the tree stump to vanish can use the go-to Gordon stump killer product. This tree stump killer will not only kill the tree stumps from the surface level, but it will finish them from the roots. If you use it effectively, then the product will, for sure, prevent the regrowth of these tree stumps. It will even trigger the process of rotting.
The 32oz liquid within each bottle is more than the required quantity. In simple words, if the results are not as quick as per your need, the sufficient amount will allow you to reapply it. That’s not all about the tree stump killer.
Best of all, the product is present in an outstanding squirt bottle. Therefore, you can apply it without any trouble. Use it on the stump or drill holes to allow the fluid to flow deeper. However, try to be extremely careful while using the product. It is a ready-to-use product, no need to prepare it.
3. Dow AgroSciences RTU548 Tordon RTU Herbicide QT Size
- The dyed blue color helps to differentiate between the sprayed and non-sprayed areas.
- Prevents regrowth for almost a year and the appearance of new sprouts.
- Long-lasting, effective formula, and affordable.
- It requires extra care as mishandling can even lead to the end of flowers and needed plants.
If you are tired of the unwanted trees in your yards and gardens, then this tree stump killer might support you in removing these unwanted stumps. The stump killer can cut and kill the stumps present in non-crop and fence line areas. It helps in controlling unwanted tree stumps by using the cut surface treating method.
This Dow Tordon Herbicide is an outstanding product that aims to keep twenty varieties of woody plants and trees at bay. The product offers highly effective results if you use it at the top (exposed interior) of any tree trunk. The chemical will deeply seep and soak and scatter through the entire root system of the plant.
Moreover, the free-flowing chemical liquid represents a rich blue dye, which shows you the exact areas the tree stump killer has reached. You don’t need to mix or precisely measure the formula. Thus, start using it once you get it without facing any hassle. The herbicide tends to stop the undesirables and new trees from coming back for at least one or more years.
4. Frienda 20 Pieces Large Copper Nails 3.5 Inch
- Unlike a few tree stump killers, these nails won’t kill or destroy any nearby greenery (plants).
- These 5-inch nails come with a storage case, which helps to keep them in one place.
- It includes twenty nails – sufficient for multiple stumps at one time.
- You will need both a hammer and a drill.
- The nails can take months or even years to show complete work.
One of the most unique and safest methods to kill tree stumps is using copper nails. Isn’t it astonishing? Yes, you might be hearing about this method for the first time. Believe me! It can kill tree stumps in reality. Moreover, it does not consume a lot of energy or time. The method to use these coppers is simple.
You can start by drilling the starter hole in the tree stump. After that, you can hammer these copper nails at the topmost part of the tree stump. Don’t you think it is an easy killing method? However, for large trees, you will have to use more copper nails to kill the tree stump. The Frienda pack includes twenty copper nails, which will be enough for a large tree stump.
Furthermore, this copper-nail method is not only an easy-to-use technique but also an environmentally friendly procedure. The nails won’t lead towards any damage to the grass, flowers, or trees present near the tree stump.
5. Roebic K-77-2LB Laboratories K-77 Root Killer
- The product will save the cost of rooting and digging.
- It (chemical) will target the tree roots from their entry points.
- This tree stump killer is safe for septic tanks and plumbing.
- It won’t damage the surrounding greenery and vegetation.
- It might cause problems in dissolving – ineffective dissolving.
The Roebic Root Killer is a unique and effective formulation that aims to destruct and finish the roots at a much faster rate than before. If you are tired because of the clogging issues that arise after using any tree stump killer, you can try this root killer. In other words, it does not cause clogging in any plumbing system or septic tank.
Whether it be a small house or a house with a large-sized garden, this treatment is 100% harmless for residential areas. Therefore, you can stop worrying even if you have a lot of extensive plumbing and tanks. The Roebic Root Killer aims at the entry point of the roots, which, in turn, prevents their regrowth in the future.
Also, this root killer is non-corrosive, which means it won’t destroy the pipes at all. Don’t you think it is the best product for long term usage? This chemical does not damage the ground cover, surrounding trees, or even the bacteria present in your septic tank. Due to the addition of this chemical in your septic tanks (eliminates root clogging), you will be able to save rooter and digging services.
6. Bonide 274 728639280241 Vine & Stump Killer
- It comes with simple, easy-to-understand, and well-explained instructions.
- The chemical does not destroy the desirable plants.
- It is a specialized and well-proven product to prevent re-sprouting.
- Easy application.
- The quantity of the liquid is less as compared to the price of the tree stump killer.
Everyone wishes to have a product/chemical that not only aims to eliminate the stump problem for some time but even prevents this difficulty from occurring again. No one would like to invest again and again in this product. Bonide Stump Killer is one of those chemicals that will solve this issue for everyone.
In simple words, the ideal tree stump killer aims to stop the sprouting process. Wait, let me tell you the secret behind the high efficiency of this stump killer. The tree stump killer uses triclopyr as the most active ingredient in its formulation. It will kill stumps and vines without damaging the surrounding plants.
For optimal utilization and easy application, this killer includes one brush-top tool (applicator). While applying and using the chemical, this applicator will enhance the overall accuracy. Moreover, the detailed instructions will further accompany you in using the chemical without encountering any difficulty.
7. Roundup Concentrate Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer
- Rainproof for half-an-hour.
- The ready-to-apply version is also available within the market.
- It can kill poison ivy and woody brush as well.
- It may require several applications on a few plants.
- At times, it might not kill the roots.
Roundup Brush Killer is among the most famous household names. Along with being affordable, the brush killer is the best available weed killer. This product aims to kill poison ivy and brush. It can even finish an extensive range of invasive vines like honeysuckle, wisteria, kudzu, poison oak, poison sumac, wild blackberry, briars, and unwanted shrubs.
The brush killer is available as one concentrate. You can dilute it with the help of water and add it to the sprayer. However, you can even get a pre-diluted bottle along with an attached spraying wand. After spraying the solution on the targeted area, it will become rainproof within 30minutes.
The results are fast and visible. Usually, the product will show results after one day. You will observe wilting. It will even kill the plant to the extreme down, preventing the regrowth. However, try to be a little careful while using this spray.
8. Compare-N-Save 016869 Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
- The killer can end the weeds faster and more effectively.
- Rainproof solution.
- This weed killer can cover a large portion.
- You will be required to pre-mix it in water before using it.
- The product will take 2hrs to show its rainproof properties.
The Compare Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer is one of the most-wanted products by the public. It is available in three different sizes: 32 ounces, 1 gallon, and 2.5 gallons. Thus, you can select the size and quantity depending on your needs.
Apart from the different sizes, this weed killer is also a rainproof product. In simple words, the weed killer does not get affected by rain. However, you will have to give it at least two hours to become rain resistant. This rainproof feature is essential as rain can wash all of the weed killers.
This weed killer solution consists of 41% glyphosate. The ingredients play an active and significant role in killing up the weeds. Moreover, the grass killer can cover almost 25,000sq.ft. Also, the 85 gallons solution is ready-to-use. But mix it efficiently. In conclusion, the chemical solution is perfect for tougher weeds (brush).
9. Bonide (BND272) – Ready to Use Stump-Out Chemical Stump Killer
- Easy-to-use, affordable, and highly effective.
- Ready-to-use and no need for digging or chopping.
- It does not need any mixing.
- Requires plenty of preparation.
- It will take almost six weeks (max) to show the work.
If you want an affordable option for removing a moderate-sized stump in the garden, then this Bonide tree stump killer would be a decent choice. After using it in combination with any brush killer, this tree stump killer provides much better performance. It is a safe substitute for potassium nitrate.
To remove the heavy-duty tree stumps, the Bonide tree stump killer uses ready-to-use granules. These sodium metabisulfate granules are an excellent and harmless substitute for potassium nitrate. However, both compounds serve as a decomposing agent (chemical), but sodium metabisulfate is more useful and efficient.
Furthermore, you won’t need to chop or dig the tree stump after applying the chemical solution. This chemical will rot down the wood. The one-pound bottle provides a sufficient amount of chemicals to treat and kill an average-sized tree stump.
10. VPG Fertilome 32295 32Oz Brush Stump Killer
- The chemical will only take one to six weeks to show the results.
- This 32oz bottle is more than enough for a long time application.
- It can control invasive plants and vines.
- It does not provide similar results for every tree stump.
- You might need to put in the additional effort – no squirt nozzle.
If you are rid of reoccurring and troublesome tree stumps, this 32-ounce chemical bottle might support such a situation. It can help you to kill stumps, invasive species, and brushes. However, to observe the clear and impressive result, you will have to wait for one to six weeks.
The tree stump killer can cause rotting, which, in turn, kills the stump efficiently. You can even reapply the stump killer to boost the results. Moreover, the application process requires a brush. In simple words, to apply the chemical, you can use a brush or even spray it by using any backpack sprayer.
There are many positive reviews about the efficiency and working of this product. The VPG Brush Stump Killer is famous for its high-end stump-killing ability. Therefore, the user can use the product for several months or years as well.
Buyer’s Guide – What to Consider When Buying a Tree Stump Killer
Until now, you have been familiar with the ten best tree stump killers available within the entire market. But do you know what features are necessary to look at before purchasing the product? If not, we will take you along with the most vital points to consider in a tree stump killer. Let’s start with them!
- Application technique
You can apply a tree stump killer by using two effective methods. The first one is to drill holes and pour the chemical in them. However, the second one is to apply the solution on the stump. Both of these methods are highly effective. But keep in mind your feasibility and ease before buying a tree stump killing chemical.
The next thing to look at is how efficient the tree stump killer is in removing the stump permanently. The killing solution should be fast and effective. It should be capable enough to remove the stump within the given quantity of the lip. In simple words, avoid products that do not show good performance.
- Safety measures
Tree stump killers are toxic chemicals that can even harm the user if not handled with attention. Along with a stump killer, try to purchase protective gloves, thick clothing, safety eye goggles, shoes (close-toed), and even a mask.