Whole house water filters are appliances that filter out water contaminants, chemicals, and hard-water issues. These are great for your families and water-contacting appliances from hard water and clogging with an effective filtration system.
Whole house water filters are installed at the main water supply to ensure pure water is available through every tap of the home. Moreover, it enables your water-contacting appliances like faucets, dishwashers, and showerheads to work effectively without reducing longevity.
The market is flooded with various whole house water filters. To save your time, we have reviewed the best whole house water filters on the market for you.
Top 10 Best Whole House Water Filter Reviews Consumer Reports
The top-notch whole house water filters are reviewed to assist you in finalizing your purchase.
- Best Overall – Pelican Whole House Carbon Water Filtration System
- Best Budget – GE Whole House Water Filtration System
- Best for City Water – Home Master Whole House 2-stage Water Filtration System
- Best for Easy Cleaning – 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System
- Best with Water Softeners – Pelican PSE2000 Whole House Water Filtration System
- Best for Well Water – iSpring WGB32BM Whole House Filtration System
- Best UV Option – Vitapur Ultraviolet Water Disinfection System
- Best for Heavy Metals – Express Water Whole House Water Filter
- Best for 7-stage Filtration – AquaOx Whole House Water Filtration System
- Best No Maintenance Option – Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System
1. Pelican Whole House Carbon Water Filtration System
- 600000 gallons lifespan and excellent performance.
- Easy replacement – only filter media inside the tank needs to be replaced; thus, no plumbing required.
- 5-Micron Pre-filter, Excellent filter for hard water.
- 1-inch large diameter outlet eliminates any bottlenecks.
- May encounter with sulfur odor issues.
Pelican PC600 utilizes the most common filter media, the activated charcoal, to remove various contaminants and their odor from water, enabling you to breathe safely while bathing. The 10 GPM flow rate and 1-inch port sufficiently fulfill a house’s water flow requirements having two to three bathrooms. Thanks to the layer of bacteriostatic media for successfully inhibiting bacterial growth within the unit.
Pelican PC600 Filtration system follows the NSF 42 standard for water filtration systems. These filters have 600,000 gallons, 5-year capacity. The 5-Micron pre-filter ensures supplying good tasting water worth drinking, that makes your skin and hair softer, and above all, its operation doesn’t require electricity. The deluxe, maintenance-free PC600, is well suited for any home.
2. GE Whole House Water Filtration System
- Heavy-duty filtration system- filters whole home water supply.
- Perfectly solves the issue of clogging of faucets and showerheads.
- Chlorine-free, odorless water supply and improves water flavor.
- Low periodic maintenance costs.
- Limited lifespan of 3 months-demands for frequent replacement.
GE GXWH04F filters remove sand, sediments, and contaminants from your water supply, improving its appearance and composition. These filters are economical. However, they can only remove large particles from water due to its single-stage water filtration system. This budget whole house water filter is high in the purchase as it supplies your homes with chlorine-free water eliminating any “floaties” from your water.
However, when it comes to filter replacements, GE filters tend to be replaced more frequently, as the filter’s lifespan is about three months. To your fortune, replacement filters are economical, too. Thus, these budget filters are well suited for you if capital is your concern.
3. Home Master Whole House 2-stage Water Filtration System
- Two-stage filtration provides pure, odorless water free of contaminants.
- Coconut shell carbon filter- soften the water.
- 95% removal of contaminant and chemicals-water is free from foul smell and taste.
- Low maintenance required.
- The unit is quite big, not suitable for small houses.
- Difficult installation- requires a qualified plumber.
These outstanding filters are considered best for city water supplies with chlorine, chloramine, pesticides, sediments, and chemicals. The difficult to tackle, chlorine and chloramines are removed effortlessly from your water supply with these filters. Home Master filter renders you pure water free from contaminants and odorless ness. Thanks to the KDF58 filtration media and catalytic carbon equipped in these filters for significantly removing the chlorine and the residual disinfectant chloramine. Moreover, the Home Master Whole water filter eliminates hydrogen sulfide, ensuring your water supply is devoid of unpleasant taste and odor.
The multi-gradient sediment filter is the first stage of filtration that traps various particles in four layers-25,10,5 and 1 micron. Filters demand replacement after filtering up to 95,000 gallons of water or annually.
4. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System
- Better quality water- upto85% chlorine removed by carbon block technology.
- Sanitary quick change- renders easier and cleaner cartridge change-outs assisting in replacement.
- Easy installation on account of 1″ inlet and outlet connection.
- Corrosion-resistant- ensuring a long service life.
- Water pressure may drop over time.
If you are looking for a top whole home water filter that demands minimal maintenance without compromising performance. Nothing can beat the conveniences of the wisely designed 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System. Particles greater than 5 microns in size are effectively trapped. These NSF standard 42 certified filters are ideal for large homes, works optimally for municipal and well water systems.
This filtration system by 3M Aqua-Pure isn’t the most robust out there in the market. Its main objective is to trap and remove large particles and supply chlorine-free water in your home. Above all, it offers easy maintenance and replacement, thanks to the Sanitary Quick Change feature. When it comes to filtering replacement, all you need to do is unthread the canister and replace the new filter tank. 3M Aqua-pure significantly protects pipes and appliances, supplying you with good tasting drinking water from every tap in the house.
5. Pelican PSE2000 Whole House Water Filtration System
- Eco-friendly due to less water wastage and no electricity demand.
- Equipped with Natursoft granules- requires no replacement, soften water instantly.
- 4-stages filtration system-pure water supply.
- 15 GPM with 1″ port- won’t affect the water flow rate.
- Hard water stains may appear.
The top-rated Pelican combo series PSE2000 significantly filters and conditions your water simultaneously, as it is a perfect blend of whole house water filter system and water softener.
These filters effectively remove contaminants and chemicals from your house’s water supply. Enjoy great-tasting water, softer skin, and hair by resolving hard-water issues with this outstanding Pelican combo series.
Your house water undergoes 4-stages of filtration with this system, ultimately providing odorless water worthy of drinking. The Pelican PSE2000 is certified by NSF standards 42 and 61. Moreover, what makes it stand out is DVGW-certification, preventing 99.6% of scale.
6. iSpring WGB32BM Whole House Filtration System
- Multi-layer filtration ensures minimal clog and pressure loss.
- 100,000-gallon life – works effectively for about a year requiring minimal replacement.
- 95% sediment removal-removes foul-smelling compounds from the water supply.
- Excellent water flow rate won’t frustrate you when using water.
- May encounter with leakage issue, which can’t be fixed, with Teflon tape.
Say goodbye to foul-smelling water and taste with the best whole home water filters by iSpring. The three-stage filtration system uses a pre-sediment filter that traps silt, dust, sand, and rust. Thus, iSpring WGB32BM is ideal for handling the filtration requirements of well water.
The carbon block filter removes chlorine, contaminants, and various volatile compounds. Above all, its heavy metal filter traps manganese, iron, and heavy metals, making WGB32BM perfect for handling well-water. The heavy metal filter requires replacement more frequently. However, the other two filters serve up to 100,000 gallons.
The wisely designed iSping WGB32BM demands minimal maintenance. Protect your family and household appliances with this filtration system without impacting the water flow rate.
7. Vitapur Ultraviolet Water Disinfection System
- Easy installation-due to ready to install UV rack system and reversible mounting bracket.
- UV lamp disinfects the water.
- Complete disinfectant – supplying pure and tasty water without sediments.
- Alarm for maintenance alerts the user if attention is needed.
- Leakage may occur after serving for a few months.
Ultraviolet filters significantly inactivate water bacteria and viruses from your house water supply. These filters by Vitapur are easy to replace due to the pressure relief valves. If you desire to provide additional disinfection to your house water supply, use this UV water disinfection system by Vitapur in conjunction with your whole house water filters.
The UV lamp estimated lifespan is about one year, a visual and audible alarm you will know that the bulb needs replacement.
The sediment filters trap and remove particulate matter and sediments from your home water. Moreover, carbon block filters eliminate chlorine making your water supply free from foul smells and unpleasant taste. The filters serve you up to 6 months. This all-in-one-system is well-suited for homes and cottages.
8. Express Whole House Water Filter
- A three-stage filtration system improves the taste of your house water.
- KDF Filter media – effectively removes heavy metals.
- Stainless steel frames – increasing durability and quality of filtration.
- Rust-resistant build ensures the filter and your plumbing stay in operation for longer.
- Big in size- requires considerable room.
Nothing is worse than having a metallic taste with every sip of drinking water. If you are pursuing a whole house water filter that effectively tackles heavy metals, Express Whole House Water Filter will serve you best.
The three-stage filter system ensures your house is supplied with clean, odorless, and tasty water. The Pre-sediment filter effectively sheds contaminants, sand, and dust. Thanks to KDF filter media for significantly trapping heavy metals and removing chloramine, hydrogen sulfide, and arsenic. The stage three-carbon filter targets chloride, pesticides, and other chemicals.
If your house water is rich in iron content or you’re facing the issue of rusting due to older plumbing, then these filters will serve you best.
9. AquaOx Whole House Water Filtration System
- 10-year warranty- no filter replacement & cartridges required.
- Maintenance-free design as it possesses self-cleaning automatic backwashing.
- Ultra-pure 7-stages filtration-Breathe safe & soften your skin
- 7-stages of filtration in one tank.
- Demands for access to an electrical outlet.
- Do not enhance the alkalinity of your water
If you have decided to go with AquaOx Whole House Water Filter, be ready to spend a sizable amount of money. Its maintenance-free design, ultra-pure filtration, and outstanding working performance compensate for its price.
The best 7-stage filter AquaOx removes harmful contaminants from your water, allowing you to breathe easily and safer. Refresh and soften your skin with this Ulta pure 7-stage filtration system. Above all, you won’t have to spend on filters and cartridges. With this filtration system, the water through every tap will be softer and fresher, so forget running to the refrigerator when thirsty at night.
The Fleck Digital head is an excellent addition to the filter tank. It assists you in controlling the settings of the unit. It comes in 2 sizes, regular and XL, select the one that fits your demand. The system only lacks fluoride removal from your water.
10. Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System
- NSF certified carbon- removes chlorine effectively providing quality water at every tap.
- Convenient filter- Easy in installation and maintenance.
- Filtersmart up-flow system- Allows salt replacements & draining without electricity.
- Eco-friendly- No plastic bottles used.
- Do not remove fluoride.
- The installation kit does not include plastic wretch and extra fittings required for installation.
Taste the purity with the salt-free Whole House Water Filter System by Filtersmart. These filters effectively remove any rust, debris, and silt from the water supply. Moreover, the granulated activated carbon ensures your home water supply is chlorine-free, odorless water. The carbon used in the filters is NSF certified made from natural coconut shells. As coconut is a known moisturizer, these filters soften your skin and hair keeping you healthier.
These wisely designed water filters are devoid of plastic bottles, keeping them environmentally-friendly without compromising efficiency. The Whole House Carbon Filter System removes various volatile organic compounds and chemicals to supply clean and delicious water at every tap in the house.
The built-in bypass ensures easy installation, moreover keeps you at ease. These filter systems don’t require maintenance.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Whole House Water Filter
With so many options on the market, it can be very difficult to decide one. You should always check the buyer’s guide before going for any whole house water filter. These are some of the aspects that buyers need to consider when finding the best whole house water filter for themselves.
- Selection of filter
First of all, take the analytical report of your water from an authentic laboratory. Water with high salinity is unacceptable by our taste buds. Go for an advanced Reverse Osmosis Water filtration Plant if your local supply is highly saline. The reverse osmosis water filtration system contains a sediment filter, carbon filter, an RO membrane. It purifies the water in all aspects of our healthy life.
When using water supplied by the city’s municipal corporation, the water supply may contain sediment (dirt, dust, rust, sand), chemical (chlorine), and iron. For most water supplies, the ordinary whole house water filter is recommended. Such a type of water filter contains filters for sediment, chlorine, and iron.
- Flow Rate
When it comes to purchasing a whole house water filter, it is crucial to consider the flow rate. The flow rate is measured in Gallon Per Minute (GPM). Commonly, water flow rate requirements range from 15 – 40 GPM. If you have simultaneous usage of water at different points in the house, then going for a water filter with a high flow rate is a prudent choice.
- Filter Size
The filter size also influences the GPM and pressure. The ideal filter size for most homes is 4.5″ X 20″. However, a whole house water filter with a 25 GPM flow rate is ideal for larger homes.
- Filter Life
The quantity and quality of the sediment filtered decide how long the filter will serve you. A carbon filter cartridge of good quality will effectively filter 100,000 – 150,000 gallons. However, stand-alone carbon filters with carbon beds have a much larger lifespan on account of the backwashing valve and a regular backwash cycle.
- Port Size
Before finalizing your purchase, reconsider the port size of the whole house water filter. A whole house water filter has an ideal port size of 1 inch, as it enables carrying enough water without any pressure drops.
Purchasing a whole house water filter is a tiresome task. Here are some of the frequently asked questions by the customers that may assist you in shopping.
How much does a whole house water filter cost?
The estimated cost of a whole house water filter ranges between $100 to $10,000. A licensed plumber is required for the installation of the system to the main water supply lines. This significantly adds up to the budget. Moreover, the frequent replacement of cartridges is essential that increases the overall cost of the system.
Is water pressure affected by the whole house water filter?
The whole house water filter greatly influences water pressure. A drop in water pressure occurs upon clogging of the filter.
How often should a whole house water filter be replaced?
A whole house water filter should be replaced every three to six months to ensure your home is supplied with good quality water.
The whole house water filter is essential for homes encountered with hard water, sediments, and various contaminants. This filter system provides you with pure water worth drinking, protecting water-contacting appliances from hard water stains.
The top-notch whole house water filters are reviewed to assist you in purchasing. The Pelican PC600 Whole House Carbon Water Filtration System is considered the best of the best in our perspective due to its 5-Micron pre-filters, easy maintenance, and longevity.